Monday, January 2, 2012

resolve

Today brings in the new year. I rather like new beginnings; there's something special about "firsts" and "starts" for me. I like concrete things, too. It's comforting for me to have a solid line that separates this from that, the next page from the last. I am inspired and refreshed by the annual restart. How exciting it is to have a whole year ahead of you, clean and unknown, full of possibilities. I think it is the feeling of hope that the new year brings that makes it something we continue to celebrate with such vigor. No matter what hardships we have faced, or how skeptical we have become, there is a flicker of wonder that comes on the first of January. We think secretly to ourselves that maybe, just maybe, this might be our year.

I am the sort of person who really likes concrete dates and starts because I need routines. I have kept a nightly journal since my senior year of high school, and the only way I was able to maintain such a ritual was by making it one. I need rules. I need time-frames and plans. The new year presents an opportunity to create a new ritual to follow; it is practically begging, in my mind, for something to be regimented into it. I am exactly the sort of person who adores new year's resolutions, because I am a stickler about routines and I actually keep to them. However, I only keep to them if I make them completely unyielding. No "oh, well I'll do it tomorrow, one day won't hurt." No "I'm tired, I can take a week break." No excuses or exceptions, no nothing. I must be ruthless in sticking to the routines I set, or else they will fade away into feeble activities I pick up over holiday breaks when Facebook starts to get boring. To really do something, and keep doing it, I need to be firm about being consistent.

So, with that said, here are my new year's resolutions. The list is not lengthy, because people rarely stick to a number of new changes. I intend to keep to these resolutions because I think they are good for my personal and professional growth. Time will be tight, as it has always been, but I cannot live my life dreaming of making time in a future that never comes. If I want these things, I must do them now.

Resolutions:
  1. Create something every day.
    paint, draw, write, collage, photograph, sculpt, sew⎯you name it.
  2. Publish something.
    or at least submit, submit, submit!
  3. Take care of yourself.
    eat healthily, but let yourself indulge once in a while. do yoga in your pajamas. bike. allow yourself one hour of peace each day. drink tea, often. 
Those are my resolutions! :) I think they are definitely doable, and I am excited to start on this journey. It's the new year! Happy 2012!

    2 comments :

    1. Happy new year too.I love all of your resolutions.Much more creative that the ones I've beem reading on most blogs.Especially the last one...drink tea,often..it made me smile :)
      XOXO
      littleornomakeup.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. :) thank you! I definitely am aiming for a bit more tea in my life, hah :P

      ReplyDelete

    Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

    Best,
    Leila

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
    Blogging tips