Wednesday, January 25, 2012

sick day

So today I called in sick. I don't know about you all, but I always find it awkward to explain what exactly is ailing me; how do you convey that you really are ill without sounding phony or pathetic? I'm still working on this skill. Anyways, I was sick today in the way I usually and frequently am. I have endometriosis. Basically what that means is that I have tissue growing where it should not and it causes me a lot of pain. Usually the pain is associated with ~periods~ which makes it somewhat of an uncomfortable thing to talk about publicly, but I get pain throughout the month randomly as well⎯as was the case today. So I popped a lot of pills, slept, and stayed in my pajamas until 4, at which time I had to go to my not-so-fun Tuesday teacher class. Not a very exciting day to say the least, but it was still good to get a little break from school, even if it came with some fairly awful pain.

 look at me working, what a good teacher-student

 sick day uniform: no make-up + oversized sweater + leggings. aww yeah, that's what's up.

 sick day also means photographing unexciting things because the boredom kicks in around 2pm (no offense meant towards Henrik's eyeball, of course).

 my "get-me-through-3-hour-Tuesday-teacher-class" supplies. I am DEFINITELY that student who reads under the desk or draws until called on, and then lifts her head guiltily while trying to determine what exactly the question just asked of her was.

 my teacher-class notes from today. ....the usual.

I feel kind of bad for being that student, but I can't help it. Ever since I was a kid, I was easily distracted and much more concerned with doing things I personally had deemed important. It's not that I don't like learning⎯to the contrary, actually, because I LOVE learning. I just have very poor attention and dislike most typical "academic" activities. For example, note-taking has always been a struggle for me because I have horrendous handwriting. When I take an exorbitant amount of time (like when I'm putting script in a cartoon I'm drawing or something), sure, it looks semi-decent, but that's only because I slowly go letter by letter. Perhaps I have some sort of undiagnosed graphomotor disorder, but whatever the issue is, I really detest taking notes by hand (and mostly unrelated, but when perusing the Google results for bad handwriting I saw this and, well, thank the lord I am not becoming a doctor). I feel a bit like a hypocrite as a teacher, because with my combined attention difficulties, failure to take notes, constant doodling, texting and reading under the desk, and severe procrastination with assignments, I am quite the pain-in-the-ass student. I feel bad! In college I was somehow the angel student, but now I feel myself creeping back to my Leila-Chatti-is-smart-but-never-pays-attention-and-is-so-lazy high school roots. Oh dear. At least there's only one semester left of teacher-class.

Anyways, I am excited that Tuesday is over, because that means it is nearly Wednesday, which means that the slope 'til the weekend is basically downhill. I expect to post more interesting things than pictures of my homework in the upcoming days.

4 comments :

  1. I'm in a similar boat as you.Getting my teaching credential right now, yet I somehow manage to always be the biggest slacker/procrastinator. I'm not school's #1 fan, so I always joke with myself, "why do i intend to do school for the rest of my life if it displeases me so?" I guess it's all about the human interactions. Anyhoo, you are not alone in this boat. and I too LIVE for the weekends these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon! Haha I am a bad student as well, I currently have 600 words left of an assignment but I think Blogger is a better use of my time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved the way you draw cartoon people. Especially when we were younger, I'd get so jealous :P I hope you enjoyed your sick day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the well wishes everyone! :D

    And good to know all us teachers are awful students, hahaha. I definitely went into teaching to work with the kids, not to do tons of assignments. ;P

    Lexiiiii, you are the true artist; I am just a part-time doodler! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips