Wednesday, March 21, 2012

i've reclaimed it

Another exhausting day, but I think it should be (mostly) easier from here on out! Almost done with my teacher classes that I hate so much, and I think that not having them anymore will result in a HUGE lessening of stress.

I talked earlier about performing in the Vagina Monologues last week, and while I don't have many pictures, I do have a video! Feel free to check it out if you'd like (though I suggest turning down the speakers if you're at work, haha!). 



I really loved performing here in Oakland. It was so refreshing to allow myself to be sexy, to be raunchy, to be young and female and empowered. While I've been in the Vagina Monologues twice before, it was different this time because I was really reclaiming something that has been lost, or at least watered down. I spend so much of my life now being this sexless, pristine model of a person that we call teachers, and it takes a toll on me. I want to say naughty words and wear short skirts. I want to be reminded that I am 21 years old, and that I am young and alive and still learning so much. I teach most of my time now, but I need room to be me, the Leila that is still growing and yearning and trying to figure herself out. So, this was needed. Much needed. If any of you are feeling similarly, for whatever reason, my recommendation would be to do something that is a big break from the usual. It did wonders for me this year.

So yeah! There I am, talking about vaginas. :) Hope you all like it.

1 comment :

  1. Hahaha that was awesome! What a shock to hear a sweet girl such as yourself saying such a naughty word, hahaha. I love your accent as well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips