Friday, March 2, 2012

march on

It's March! The second of March, actually, and it's sunny outside and smells like spring. I'm wearing a pink dress and a pale yellow cardigan in honor of my newfound lightness of spirit and, of course, for the first day of sun in a while. And, it's Friday!

I had the kids write poems today in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday. (90% of these poems ended up being about Justin Bieber, whose birthday was yesterday haha). I really enjoy Dr. Seuss, and I look forward to the time when I will be sharing his stories and wisdom with my own children. Even as an adult, I am inspired by his wit and universal insight put into the most simple of words.

I was walking around our school's campus the other day, thinking about teaching and my commitment and all the things I've been working out in my head. I came across one of the signs we have along the paths to the classrooms; our school is an outdoor school, so hallways are replaced by sidewalks, and along those sidewalks are plaques from our school. I have walked by this one many times before, to go help in history or pop into the Spanish classrooms to try some salsa, but I always glanced over it without thinking about it much. When I saw it this time, I was struck by how it applied not only to the students, but to me as well. I'm glad I noticed it this time. Sometimes messages come to you at just the right moment.


"On and on you will hike, 
and I know you’ll hike far
and face up to your problems whatever they are.
You’ll get mixed up of course, 
as you already know.
You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
And remember that life’s a great balancing act."

- Dr. Seuss

1 comment :

  1. Looks like that sign was a ... sign? Haha get it? Ooohhh yeah, not clever at all, I apologise. Also I laughed that they wrote poems about Justin Bieber haha.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips