Sunday, April 15, 2012

evil eye

You may have noticed in previous pictures a small, gold necklace in the shape of a hand. I was given this necklace at birth and have worn it nearly every day since. In Tunisia, we call it the Hand of Fatima, though I hear other cultures say "khamsa" instead. The Hand of Fatima is supposed to keep the Evil Eye away.

my hand of fatima

The Evil Eye, or عين الحسود, goes way back. The belief (which is folk based, not religious) is that evil people can curse you with a look if they are envious. To keep people from being jealous and wishing you ill, you can wear a Hand of Fatima to ward off the gaze. You can also wear the eye itself, which bends the gaze back towards the evil doer. In honor of tradition and Friday the 13th, I wore evil eye earrings yesterday; no bad luck for me!








 top: Forever 21 ~ skirt: unknown brand ~ shoes: Urban Outfitters ~ purse: vintage ~ jewelry: thrifted ~ belt: thrifted

Henrik and I went thrifting yesterday, and then came back to watch Arrested Development on Netflix. I was incredibly sad to finish the final season, until a quick Google search told me that they're making another season and a movie! I am the luckiest girl on the planet, haha. :)




Today I went to the beach, but I'm about to watch a movie, so pictures will have to come later! :) Hope you all had a great Saturday!

14 comments :

  1. This was so interesting, to read about the Hand of Fatima. I love yoiur outfit, by the way, and the pop of colour through the red tights :) .

    By the way, I’m hosting a giveaway in my blog: a very unique totebag from Romerobags. Feel free to participate in http://diaryofamoderndaylady.blogspot.com/2012/03/modern-day-lady-first-giveaway.html . Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm glad it was interesting. :) And that's a great giveaway, thank you for the info!

      Delete
  2. dude! LOVE that dress too. Lovely to meet you today! Keep in touch. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks m'am! :D Most definitely, it was great meeting you guys! I just started following all of your blogs, so we will definitely keep in contact. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this whole outfit! I am such a fan of tooled leather purses- I always giggle with delight when I find one if good condition at the thrift store. It was so nice to meet you today. Let's grab a drink soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tooled purses, and was so glad to find one with a strap that was intact! :P I really enjoyed meeting you; we should definitely meet up again sometime (and a drink sounds like an excellent way to do it, haha!). :)

      Delete
  4. OMG I love your blog!! Found you through Chictopia, congrats on the front page!
    Following you!
    Visit my blog when you get a chance!

    http://adollwithoutstyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D thank you! followed as well, your blog is great. :)

      Delete
  5. loving those earrings!!!!! The bag, the dress... well just all of it, the whole blog really :) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thank you so much! I checked out your blog yesterday and loved it; it's so cute. :) definitely following you!

      Delete
  6. I love learning little things like that about other cultures! So interesting! I always wondered what that little hand symbolized. And you are seriously the cutest thing ever! I loooovelove your outfit.

    xo,
    jessie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous dress! (:

    Check out my blog & follow? (:
    onceuponasprinkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips