Sunday, May 27, 2012

chic for cheap: day 1

Last week was what our school calls "Week Without Walls." To raise morale of both teachers and students, our school has a week where teachers can teach whatever they want and students sign up to join. Staying true to myself as always, I organized a thrift/DIY/blogging WWW⎯"Chic for Cheap."

I was assigned a small group of girls, and given a few days before the week to prep them, get permission slips, etc. Monday was our first real day, and it was a big one⎯the day of the actual thrifting!


After some planning, we walked the 10 minutes to the bus stop down the road. It was an ugly morning, very gray with the threat of rain looming overhead, but the girls were excited to go shopping and so kept negativity at bay.


We arrived at the bus stop and discovered that we would have to wait 20 minutes for the next bus. The kids decided the best way to pass the time would be to stuff their faces with hot cheetos bought from the gas station next door.


After another 20 minutes, we had arrived at Eco Thrift! Eco Thrift is definitely my favorite thrift spot in the Bay (keep a look out for an Eco Thrift info post in the future).


The students were given an hour and a half to thrift. These were the rules:
  1. Purchase at least 4 items.
  2. No swim suits, shoes, or bags.
  3. No "trendy" labels (Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, H&M, Free People, etc.).
  4. The total cannot exceed 17 dollars.
Simple enough! With that, the kids were off on their first thrift adventure.


As I'm sure you can imagine, paying for this all was quite the adventure! I have to give some serious props to the staff here for being so accommodating of our very complicated purchase. After 2 solid hours of sorting through clothes, slipping in and out of dressing rooms, and waiting in line while calculating the sales, the students finally had their first thrifted items. The next day's task? To buy supplies to alter them.


I'll post more soon, but now I need to run and get groceries because the only things in my fridge are three gargantuan jars of pickles (not joking). Hope you enjoyed this peek into our first day, the rest is coming asap!

1 comment :

  1. I think this is pretty amazing!! When I was a student at SCAD the Goodwill near campus was always being ravaged by students. It's a great inspiration to people to know that fasion doesn't always have to be "NEW" or expensive to took great. Some of my favorite pieces cost me $5 or less, many of which didn't need altering!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips