Sunday, May 13, 2012

mom

Mother's Day is here, and I am 2,332 miles away from the woman who gave birth to me nearly 22 years ago. June of last year was the first real, or perhaps first serious, separation between my mother and I⎯newly 21 years old, I did what no one expected (at least not quite so soon) and moved across the country. Separation is hard. I am the first child, so I am the first to take that step out of home, out of the home-town, and into the vast and wonderfully unpredictable world. I am the one who is testing how far a mother's love can reach, how many miles it can stretch across and still hold on.

My mother is an unbelievably strong woman. Her resilience in the face of adversity has been an inspiration to me throughout my life. She has overcome obstacles no one should ever have to face, and she has done it with unfaltering poise, courage, and humor. I am honored to be her daughter, to share both her smile and her fiery temper, to have been raised to fight for those I love and never let anyone or anything stop me from being all I can be. Thank you, Mom, for everything you are.

4 comments :

  1. I had to be far away from my mum this Mother's Day too, made me sad!

    Alexandra xo

    http://tovogueorbust.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post. It's a shame you couldn't be with her on mother's day but I'm sure she understands (:

    xx
    Cecilia
    dearestlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This so so sweet. It must be tough being so far away at times. I only lived two hours away from my mom while I was at school and that was tough. She sounds like a wonderful woman :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl I can totally relate to being far away from your mom. I miss my mom like a whale would miss water. Too much. Your mom sounds like an amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips