Wednesday, May 9, 2012

move over, grandma

Hey all! My first Chictopia article is up and running; check it out here!





For those who are interested in some behind-the-scene shots of how I altered these two dresses, feel free to look below. :)

Cut it up! Most thrifted items come with all sorts of weird stuff inside (or outside). I wanted to turn this dress into a top, so I ripped out the shoulder pads and cut out some weird mesh part inside. To separate the top from the skirt, I turned the dress inside out and cut right along the seam.

Tape! Seriously, one of my favorite little tricks. Pins always have bugged me, especially with "tight-squeezes" with a sewing machine. I only had a little bit of material to hem because I wasn't working with a lot (and didn't want a crop top!), so I held my fabric in place with tape! I sewed straight through the tape. When I was finished, I just peeled it off. Easy, peasy!

Mannequin & Mark! A few months ago, I bought a mannequin from a garage sale for 20 bucks. It was a great deal, because mannequins are so helpful! To figure out what length to cut my dress (because I'm horrible with eye-balling⎯damn spatial-reasoning gap!), I put the dress on inside out on the mannequin. I then determined about where I wanted the under skirt to reach. I marked it with a black Sharpie.

Wing it. I'm impatient and not super fancy. Thus, I just used the side of a magazine to trace a line straight across the rest of the skirt. I kept a magazine underneath the material as well (hello, Urban Outfitters' catalog!) so that no Sharpie bled through.

For the rest of the fishtail dress, I simply marked with a Sharpie where the shortest point of the skirt would fall, and then folded the skirt in half (long ways, not short ways) and traced from that point down to the hem at a curve. (When you open it up after cutting, the cut away bit will look like a U). Sorry if this sounds at all confusing, I promise it isn't! Let me know if you want a visual or anything. :)

4 comments :

  1. This is amazing, you are very talented. I love your blog. I think we should follow each other - http://amyklundt.blogspot.com/.

    Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so great! You totally rocked those dress do-overs. I just got a sewing machine so I'm hoping to do the same pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for sewing machines!! :D Definitely play around with it as soon as possible, because once you get the hang of it, it's super easy (and addicting and fun).

      Delete
  3. Checked out your article on chictopia and loved it! Thanks for the rocking advice girl!

    xx
    Cecilia
    dearestlou.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips