Tuesday, May 22, 2012

what to wear: interview & nine to five

via

A friend of mine recently asked me to do a post about what to wear to an interview. I think this is a great question, and because I went through a couple "grown up" interviews before my friends (having graduated a year early), I have gained some extra insight. 

Interviews are tricky business. You want to put your best foot forward. You also want to stand out from the rest of the job-hungry pool of desperate applicants, but you don't want to come off as odd. On my interviews this past spring, I wanted to be both professional and comfortable. It's my belief that you can't make a good first impression if you aren't feeling confident and yourself. I know myself well enough to know that even if the suit is $400 and tailored to fit my bod perfectly, I won't feel confident if it isn't me enough. So how do you incorporate personal style into interview wear?

interview


I'd say, sneak in pieces that are more you. Have some jewelery that you love? Wear it with a classic skirt and blazer. If you're wearing mostly neutrals, allow yourself one pop of color (so long as it isn't neon, probably). Pick cuts/shapes you like⎯peplum skirts, Mary-Jane shoes, Peter Pan collars⎯and keep them neutral colored to be safe. When I interview for TFA and, later, my job, I wore some high-waisted pants à la Annie Hall. Why? Because I love high-waisted pants. Because high-waisted pants fit me best. Because they matched lots of my blouses. Because, well, why not? (I did get both into TFA and hired by the school, so hey!). Also, keep in mind that you can find some bomb interview clothes at thrift stores, which is where I bought every last piece of my professional wardrobe. I have found ah-may-zingggg blazers for a couple bucks. Blouses? There are tons. You don't need to spend a million bucks to look like you are! ;)

What to wear once you land the job? That's easy! (Or, easier.) Though I hate to say it, I'd say lean more towards conservative when in doubt; I definitely have tucked away some items I thought might be a little too much for the kiddies, for example. ;P Some work places have strict dress codes that explicitly state what you can and cannot wear. Other jobs don't. My school has a pretty loose dress code that lets us use our best judgement, and advises we stick away from blue and red (because of gangs). Here are some looks I would feel great about adding to my work repertoire.

young spring work



Happy job hunting!

And psst! I had a great start to my Week Without Walls but only just got back from a CPR class I had tonight for 4 hours! I promise updates will come soon!

6 comments :

  1. Absolutely love the outfits you created! Great advice girl (:

    xx
    Cecilia
    dearestlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These outfits are all so cute! I love every single one and could definitely see myself wearing the majority of it. Thanks for this post, pretty lady! Very helpful. ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of these outfits! super cute!
    Jennybodell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have all of these outfits? Please. Fine. I'll just virtually drool all over them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i adore this post. i think you nailed it! so important to be a little quirky & show a bit of personality...i can't even say how many times that's played in my favor. it's completely true. you don't want to be a weirdo, to be sure...but everyone loves a gal who's not afraid to distinguish herself from the crowd & be a sartorially creative. love this post...and your whole blog : ) xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing post! I just started an internship and this is so so helpful. Thank you, and love your blog! xo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips