Monday, June 18, 2012

4 and 3 and dad

How is it that a million errands creep up RIGHT before you're going to be totes unavailable to do them, aka going on an international multi-country adventure? I feel like I've been running around this entire weekend!

4 and 3 of the countdown are simple, but oh so good (and delicious).


You know the   SinĂ©adO'Connor song where she warbles, "Nothing compares to you," over and over? That's how I feel about tuna pizza. I try and try to make it here in the US but...well, you guys know how the song goes. My cousins are kind and usually get one for me first thing when I get off the plane.


Err'yday, err'yday.

Food aside now, I want to talk about something really special: my dad!


My dad immigrated to the U.S. as a student, to attend college. He was incredibly bright and so received scholarships. He met my mom⎯an American girl from just outside Detroit⎯and, well, you can guess what happened! My dad stayed here. He's a professor now, and is one of the smartest people I know. He is humble, kind, and curious. He likes to ask questions, even if he's asked the same one a few minutes earlier. He has a great laugh. My dad taught me to love all people, to be steadfast in my faith but decide what is true for myself, to appreciate beauty, and to sacrifice when needed. I realize now how much I am like him. I have his cowlick and bad eyesight. I love languages (my dad is fluent in 3). I get lost in thought. I am careful with money and I am sensitive, but don't show it.

I know that I am fortunate. It seems that so many people I know and love have fathers so unlike mine⎯cruel or selfish or absent men. My father loved me, and my mother, unwaveringly; he provided for my family, and made each choice with us in mind. Not all fathers are like my dad. Not all men are like my dad. I'm reminded of the Alanis Morissette song, "Princes Familiar." For those of you who haven't listened to it yet, do. (I'm a major Alanis fan, and sistafriend even shares my birthday so HOLLA) The song is more or less talking about how we women are affected by our fathers, how our fathers affect our view of men. She is asking fathers to do right by their daughters so that they have a good example of what kind of man to be with later in life.
"Papa, love your princess so that she will find loving princes familiar."
The idea that women, unconsciously or not, seek out men like their fathers is not a new one. I always thought it was a load of baloney. I did, after all, go through a series of jerks. I'm starting to give it more consideration, however, because Henrik is remarkably like my dad in many ways. I do also think that my dad's patience, consistent love, and appreciation for my intelligence, creativity, and ambition left an impression on me; because he treated me as someone special, I learned not to tolerate men who did not do the same. He has always respected my thoughts, my body, and my autonomy. My dad came to my performances of The Vagina Monologues and cheered me on. My dad listens to my poems, and then asks me about them. My dad rooted me on when I made the decision to move across the country at the age of 20. My dad has been nothing but supportive of me and my choices. Thanks to my dad, I do find loving, gentle, attentive, curious, funny, respectful men familiar. My dad is an outstanding man and an amazing father. I am so blessed. Love you, Popsa!


11 comments :

  1. This is such a lovely post, your dad sounds like such a cool dude!
    p.s I feel exactly the same about tuna pizza.
    dimplesdiaries
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely photos and your words are so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I gotta be real but tuna pizza does not sound good to me. It might have something to do with the fact that I hate tuna. BUT I'm so excited that you get to have it again soon. And gelato? Always. Your dad, he sounds awesome. I'm so glad you were blessed with an loving father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just came across your blog, and I love this post! Yum, gelato is so delicious :)! I’ve decided to follow your blog! If you get a minute, I’d love to know what you think of my latest outfit post! While you’re visiting, follow along so we can keep in touch! :)
    xo, elle from Living in Color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet, makes me miss my dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. :) Your pops sounds like such a sweet, adoring man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so sweet about your dad. And can I just say, those Gelato pictures are making me so hungry! It is SO ridiculously hot in our office today, its almost 100 degrees outside and our air isn't working. Gelato would be MUCH appreciated!
    Thanks for sharing your adorable pictures :)
    x Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. woah, tuna pizza. it sounds scary but looks prettttyyy yummy. dare i try it? and where are you going for your jet setting adventure- it already sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a touching read! you have a beautiful writing style, and made me feel like calling my dad! oh and i too was raised outside of Detroit, my heart will always be in the mitten :)
    cheers from nyc!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is so touching. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips