Sunday, February 10, 2013

book two: self-help

Self-Help was a book I picked up while prepping for graduate school apps because, while I am a poet, Lorrie Moore is currently a professor at the MFA program at Wisconsin-Madison (and will be joining the Vanderbilt faculty this fall). I think it may actually the first book of short-stories I've read all the way through. And—it was fantastic! I have nothing but positive things to say about this book. The stories cover a variety of topics, from how to be the "other woman" to divorce to writing,  but each tale is tinged with perfectly human mourning and is written in a clever, beautiful way. Lorrie Moore has a gift with language; she even works wonders with second person narration. If you're looking for a thoughtful book that stirs up some heart-feelings while simultaneously making you smile, I cannot recommend this book enough.

**This post is part of my 50 Books In 1 Year challenge. See other posts here.**

3 comments :

  1. Always looking for a new book to pick up. Thanks for sharing!

    Larissa
    http://jlcarrick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked short stories - sounds like a variety of topics to keep you interested too.

    <3 katherine / of corgis & cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your entries are a highlight in my day. You write beautifully about beautiful things. I will read this book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips