Wednesday, February 13, 2013

DIY valentine's day banner!

I've recently been doing a lot of thinking about consumerism and this desire we all seem to have to buy, buy, buy. (I mean, when I'm bored, I always get the itch to go thrifting, so I am 100% guilty). I wanted to spend this week making as opposed to purchasing, and with the holidays coming up (tomorrow!) I thought I'd make a very DIY craft project. I didn't buy anything new for it!






If you want to free-hand each letter, go to step 4.

1. Take your thicker paper (I used a manilla envelope) and write out your letters. If you want them to be perfect, you might want to print out large letters and trace them onto the cardboard/the envelope. I think having it handwritten is a nice touch, though! :)

2. Cut out your letters from the thicker material. These will be your stencils.

3. Place your letters on the backs of your scraps of paper. (Scrapbook paper works nicely!) Trace the letter.

4. Cut out your pretty banner letters!

5.
Cut a length of string that looks right. I laid out the string and my letters to get a good idea of how long I'd like it. Consider spacing when doing this step.

6. Glue. I cut out small little rectangles of scrap paper and glued them so that the string was between the letter and the rectangle (it stays sturdier that way).
And you're done! I put mine above our bed. :)


2 comments :

  1. Aww I love this. I'd much rather get something like this for Valentine's day rather than something shop bought and impersonal.
    Kaz x

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips