Friday, June 20, 2014

23 -> 24

20 days ago, I turned 24. There isn't a big hurrah for this particular birthday, not like the ones on either end of it—21 and 25, markers of freedom and near-adulthood. 24 just sort of fades into the background of birthdays. 23 did, too.

It's been an interesting year, one of real growth and change. All this life-living has kept me away from posting on here as much, and for that I apologize. It seems I'm still trying to strike the perfect balance of living the life I want and taking the time to pause and reflect and share.

One of the things I started last year was a project to document the little beauties in my daily life. I take photos all the time, and I write about some of my darker demons, but these are snapshots from one very specific point of view and are colored by how I see and shape my perception of my life. I wanted to do something a little different, something that forced me to appreciate every day of my life for what it is—a day that is mine.

To do this, I set out to record a second of each day of my 23rd year of life. This way, I would not leave anything out. Not the unglamorous boredom, not my messy finals-are-coming-soon room, not the mundane monotonous life that takes place in between the adventures I share on here. I wanted the whole picture. So here it is, what it looked like for me to be 23 years old.

23 from Leila C on Vimeo.

What am I hoping to do different for 24? I'm not sure yet. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the number of goals I set out for myself, so for now, this summer, I'm just going to do what I can. Read more, write more, learn new things, get a little dirty outside more often. Cook. Travel. Exercise. Those kinds of things. :) I will also try to be better about balancing the things that matter to me. Really, I'll just try to be better. I'll take each day as it comes.

2 comments :

  1. Leila I love this!!! You're making me think I should take this on as a project! haha. It's a really cool idea and fun to watch :) Happy birthday! I hope 24 is treating you grandly :) Rhi xx

    The Wildest of Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved that! It seems like a wonderful way to document life and kinda reflect on the past year. It looks like 23 treated you very well. I'm sure 24 will too!
    Bella x
    http://sincerelyisabella.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day⎯really! I love reading what you have to say. Hope to hear from you. :)

Best,
Leila

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips